No matter what time of year it is, it’s always a good time to be thinking about home energy efficiency. Not only can energy efficiency help preserve the earth’s energy resources, it can keep you comfortable, and save you money. Here’s a list of 10 simple yet effective ways for you to conserve energy and save money all year long.
- In the summer, keep doors, windows and shades closed during the day to reduce unwanted heat from coming in.
- In the winter, open blinds and drapes to let the sun warm your space.
- Install a programmable thermostat to automatically adjust the temperature to your schedul
- If you do have to manually change the thermostat, do it in small degree changes – cranking it up or down will only put strain on your system, ultimately costing you more.
- Wash your clothes in cold water – about 90% of the energy used by washing machines goes to heating the water. Also, be sure to only do laundry when you have enough for a full load.
- Use high efficiency lightbulbs.
- Turn off lights when they’re not in use (this could save up to 15% on your electricity bill).
- Be sure you’re using appliances efficiently. Make sure you’re getting the appropriate size appliances for your home and be sure to maintain them regularly (clean them, change filters, seal ducts, etc.).
- Replace old windows with energy efficient windows to ensure you keep outside air out and inside air in.
- Put the equity in your home to work for you! A GSCU equity can help pay for home energy efficiency improvements. For projects that might take a while, an equity line might be the right fit – you only pay interest on the amount you use but if it’s a large, one-time purchase, then an equity loan could do the trick because you take out a loan for what you need and start repaying it immediately. Check out our rates here.
- Most electric companies will do energy audits of your home to see if you’re using unnecessary electricity.
Saving energy and money can be easy with a little extra time and effort. Have other home energy efficiency tips and tricks to share? Comment below!