Winter is not far away and the colder temperatures have already started to set in. Now is the perfect time to make sure you have your home prepared.
Here are some tips to get started:
- Replace any old or inefficient windows. Windows are one of the major ways heat can escape from your home.
- Seal off drafty windows and patio doors with clear plastic insulation kits.
- Make sure that there aren’t any drafts coming in under doors. If there are consider using a rubber strip to seal them.
- Use a programmable thermostat to reduce heating costs when no one is at home. Every degree that you can lower you thermostat can save 1-3% on your heating bill.
- Replace worn or missing shingles and tiles on your roof.
- Seal any cracks in and around the foundation of your home
- Have your furnace serviced by a professional and change filters every 3 months.
- Hang heavier, insulated curtains as it can keep your home warmer.
- Keep your fireplace in working order, check the chimney and make sure it is clear of any debris.
Stay safe and warm!